One Civilian Killed Every Three Hours in Yemen: Saudis Using Famine as Weapon of War
October 29, 2018 gence France-Presse & Anti-War.com & Laura Rozen / Al-Monitor
A civilian is killed every three hours in Yemen, Oxfam said Friday, calling on the United States, Britain and other European states to suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia. The UN categorises Yemen as the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with 14 million people now facing a serious threat of famine. Oxfam is calling on the UK, US and other governments "to suspend arms sales to the Saudis because of their disregard for civilian lives in the war in Yemen."
Oxfam Reports: One Civilian
Killed Every Three Hours in Yemen Agence France-Presse
DUBAI (October 26, 2018) -- A civilian is killed every three hours in Yemen, Oxfam said Friday, calling on the United States, Britain and other European states to suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia.
"One civilian has been killed every three hours in fighting in Yemen since the beginning of August, with many more people succumbing to disease and hunger," Oxfam said in a statement.
Citing data collected by the Civilian Impact Monitoring Project, linked to the United Nations global protection clusters, the aid group said 575 civilians were killed between August 1 and October 15, including 136 children.
"Oxfam is calling on the UK, US and other governments to suspend arms sales to the Saudis because of their disregard for civilian lives in the war in Yemen," read the Oxfam statement.
Saudi Arabia leads a pro-government military alliance that has battled Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels since 2015, pushing the impoverished country to the brink of famine.
The UN categorises Yemen as the world's worst humanitarian crisis, warning Tuesday that 14 million people now face a serious threat of famine.
Following the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi -- the Washington Post columnist and Saudi critic killed in his country's Istanbul consulate this month -- rights and aid groups have urged Western states to suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia.
Riyadh is the number one buyer of weapons from the United States.
Germany last week said it had suspended the export of arms to Saudi Arabia pending "clarification" of how Khashoggi died. France and the US have declined to suspend arms deals with Saudi Arabia. Paris says none of its arms are used in the Yemen war.
The UN estimates nearly 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen since 2015. Rights groups say the number could be five times as high.
(October 26, 2018) -- The New York Times has a new article on the growing famine across Yemen. The piece details the difficulty, and at times impossibility, of getting food in parts of Yemen. This is presented in the context of a Saudi-led, US-backed war in Yemen that has been killing thousands of civilians.
Citing aid experts and UN officials, the report reveals this is not just happenstance. Rather, it reveals the famine as a deliberate part of the Saudi war strategy, a way of grinding Yemen's always struggling economy to a halt, by making sure too many people are starving.
The article provides an overall look at the economic disaster several years of war and Saudi policy have brought to Yemen. While it is a bit light on details of American involvement in the war, it still provides a lot of previously unreported details.
WASHINGTON (October 25, 2018) -- A convergence of factors, including the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and growing fears of massive famine in Yemen, could drive Congress to press the Donald Trump administration to force the Saudis to end their war in Yemen, former US officials who work on the region said this week.
"Now is the time for Congress to take the big step and compel an end to this war," Bruce Riedel, a former CIA and National Security Council official and columnist for Al-Monitor's Gulf Pulse, said at a Brookings Institution forum today.
While Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has linked his prestige with the war in Yemen he championed as a new Saudi defense minister in 2015, his reputation has been badly damaged in Washington because of his widely presumed role in authorizing the plot that the Saudis now admit killed Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul Oct. 2.
"There is an opportunity in all this for us," Riedel said. "Refocus attention on Yemen and on quitting the war as quickly as possible."
The proposal came as the United Nations' top humanitarian officer issued an unusually dire warning about the scale of potential famine emerging in Yemen, declaring some 14 million people -- half the Yemeni population -- now entirely dependent on aid for their survival.
The revised UN assessment since just September comes as food and fuel prices have risen there in the last four months of intensified fighting around the key Red Sea port of Hodeidah, and people's purchasing power has become exhausted after three and a half years of conflict.
"There is now a clear and present danger of an imminent and great big famine engulfing Yemen: much bigger than anything any professional in this field has seen during their working lives," Mark Lowcock, the UN undersecretary general for humanitarian affairs, said in a stark briefing to the UN Security Council Oct. 23.
"Our revised assessment . . . is that the total number of people facing pre-famine conditions, meaning they are entirely reliant on external aid for survival, could soon reach . . . 14 million," Lowcock said. "That is half the total population of the country."
The UN humanitarian chief warned that with another 500,000 people displaced since fighting intensified around Hodeidah four months ago, and damage to the port facilities, aid agencies simply will not be able to provide the scale of relief needed to feed the 14 million people dependent on it.
"In the absence of a cessation of hostilities, especially around Hodeidah, where fighting for more than four months now has damaged the key facilities and infrastructure on which the aid operation relies, the relief effort will ultimately be simply overwhelmed," Lowcock said. "The time, surely, has come for all the parties to heed these warnings."
"With so many lives at stake, we call upon the belligerents to seize this moment to engage fully and openly with the special envoy to end the conflict," Lowcock pleaded.
UN special envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths, in Washington this week for consultations, met with Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan Oct. 23, the State Department said.
"The deputy secretary and the special envoy discussed the dire humanitarian situation and latest steps being taken to alleviate the suffering of the Yemeni people, as well as the urgent need for de-escalation and dialogue throughout Yemen," State Depatment spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement.
"Deputy Secretary Sullivan reiterated US support for special envoy Griffiths as he continues his consultations. The deputy secretary and the special envoy expressed hope that all sides can work toward a comprehensive political agreement that brings peace, prosperity and security to Yemen."
The sharp rise in the scale of famine in Yemen has grown in recent weeks for multiple reasons, including rising food and fuel prices, and fighting in the province where the port of Hodeidah is located, said Dafna Rand, a former State Department official, now with Mercy Corps.
"There is food available, but people have no money to buy food," Rand said at the Brookings Institution forum today. "There is food, but no one can afford it."
She said there has been a 25% increase in basic food prices in Yemen just since January. Then, since July, a UAE-backed offensive to try to push the Houthi rebels from the port of Hodeidah has spread fighting across the province, impeding road access between the port city and the rest of northern Yemen, including the capital city of Sanaa. And the number of internally displaced people in the province has increased by half a million. Meantime, Sanaa airport has been closed by the Saudi-led coalition, further reducing the capacity of aid groups.
"There has been a decrease in humanitarian capacity," Rand said. "The solution is access."
The United States needs to "find a way to bring the regional conflict to a halt, [but] recognize that [Yemen's] internal conflict is not likely to end," Riedel said.
Riedel noted that in one of his final columns for the Washington Post, Khashoggi last month proposed that the Saudi-led military coalition declare a unilateral cease-fire in Yemen, lift the blockade and convene a peace conference of all the Yemeni parties to try to come up with a new solution.
"Peace talks will provide Saudi Arabia with a golden opportunity. Riyadh will almost certainly find international support if it enters into a cease-fire as negotiations take place," Khashoggi wrote in the Washington Post Sept. 11, 2018. "Obviously, Riyadh will not get all of what it wants and would leave Yemenis to sort out their differences with their fellow Houthis in a National Congress -- instead of on bloody battlefields."
Laura Rozen is Al-Monitor's diplomatic correspondent based in Washington, DC. She has written for Yahoo! News, Politico and Foreign Policy. On Twitter: @LRozen
Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, for noncommercial, educational purposes.