November 6, 2018 Pat Elder / Pat Elder for Congress & The Naval Sea Systems Command Warfare Centers
Commentary: Our campaign has attempted to define progressivism as it exists in America today. The platform of the Green Party US has been our guide throughout this six-month ordeal. These people loved my platform of universal health care, daycare, college, and a guaranteed wage of $15 per hour, but they often told me, "It ain't gonna happen." Their spirits are broken, and their minds are confused. We must orchestrate an uplifting educational program and figure out a way to reach them.
Final Thoughts of a Green Party Peace Candidate Pat Elder / Pat Elder for Congress
MD 5th Congressional District Candidate Pat Elder is interrupted by Cove Point security officers while taping a message on the harmful effects of the liquid natural gas plant.
MARYLAND (November 5, 2018) -- Our campaign has attempted to define progressivism as it exists in America today. The platform of the Green Party US has been our guide throughout this six-month ordeal.
I'm proud to be a member of the Maryland Green Party and I'm tired of all the negativity directed at me and the party. I'll be relieved when it's over when we can regroup as a party and plan our strategy for 2020.
Nearly half the people don't vote. It's very disturbing. These numbers are higher in impoverished areas. In these quarters, I'd estimate that two-thirds don't cast ballots, while the remaining third is split between Trump Republicanism and the Democrat du jour.
These people loved my platform of universal health care, daycare, college, and a guaranteed wage of $15 per hour, but they often told me, "It ain't gonna happen." Their spirits are broken, and their minds are confused.
We must orchestrate an uplifting educational program and figure out a way to reach them.
I am most disturbed by people who share our progressive ideology but vote for a Democrat like Steny Hoyer anyway.
C'mon. I've laid it out. Hoyer is a money launderer, although he claims he's for ridding the system of the cash. He's opposed to universal health care while he speaks vaguely of lowering premiums.
He's for burning fossil fuels. You gotta figure, Hoyer is a fossil himself, representing a decaying age. Hoyer is a cheerleader for the military while the Navy poisons the air, land, groundwater and surface water of Southern Maryland.
Steny Hoyer is the nation's preeminent war hawk. He hasn't blinked while Trump has increased military spending by more than $200 billion. All of this has come at the expense of the good things our government does. 67% of all federal discretionary spending is now for the military. You won't hear Rep. Hoyer complain. It's his vision.
Nonetheless, many "progressives" who understand Hoyer's record plan to vote for him, even after I point out that he receives two out of every three votes every time he runs. A Green vote is a wasted vote, they say. They'll come around after things deteriorate further and the Democrats become further identified as a corporate war party.
My campaign chair Richard Ochs has added his excellent points:
Why liberals should vote for Maryland Green Party candidates: * Because Maryland Democrats promote NSA, Fort Meade, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Ft. Detrick, Andrews Air Force Base, Edgewood Arsenal, National Guard and Air National Guard, Army reserves, JROTC in schools, JHU Applied Physics Lab, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed-Martin, Fairchild, Raytheon, and lots of sub-contractors – all with owners and workers who lobby for military expenditures.
* Because Democratic candidates do not tell the truth that militarism has the government in a stranglehold, making it the enemy of humanity; that militarism largely controls the media and the government, destroying the environment, making the rich richer and the poor poorer.
* Because Ben Jealous and Larry Hogan are part of a militarist system which is destroying our beloved country and destroying the world, not because they want to, but because they need the campaign contributions.
* Because both parties have conspired to kill 20 million people in 37 victim countries since WWII – countries who were of no threat to our homeland.
* Because those who support either major party unintentionally end up like the Germans in 1932 who accepted militarism for jobs and benefits.
* Because Ben Jealous opposes the constitutional right of citizens to advocate for boycotts, divestments and sanctions against Israel and its illegal and racist policies.
* Because the Green Party will not take a dime of corporate money.
PS: We've raised about $11,000. Final expenses find the campaign about $400 in debt.
Committee to Elect Pat Elder | 17841 Rosecroft Rd., Lexington Park, MD 20653