US and South Korea to Scale Back Provocative Spring Military Exercises Aimed at the North
November 23, 2018 AntiWar.com & Agence France-Presse
Though officials had previously been threatening a return to large-scale military exercises in South Korea, the Pentagon has once again agreed with South Korea to dramatically scale back a major exercise, in this case the spring 2019 war-games. This is Foal Eagle, which is usually one of the major Korea wargames for the US, and usually a big source of tensions with North Korea.
US, South Korea to Scale Back Spring Exercises Jason Ditz / AntiWar.com
(November 21, 2018) -- Though officials had previously been threatening a return to large-scale military exercises in South Korea, the Pentagon has once again agreed with South Korea to dramatically scale back a major exercise, in this case the spring 2019 wargames.
This is Foal Eagle, which is usually one of the major Korea wargames for the US, and usually a big source of tensions with North Korea. According to Defense Secretary James Mattis it will be scaled back enough that it won't threaten ongoing diplomacy.
This may prove controversial, as Gen. Robert Abrams had recently told the Senate that the reduction in wargames was degrading the readiness of US military forces inside South Korea. Between that and some not being on board for North Korea diplomacy in general, this may see some resistance.
It's unclear how the US and South Korea decided to scale this particular exercise back, though usually such actions have come at the behest of South Korea, who both has more to lose from foiling diplomacy, and has made side deals with the north to prevent any incidents fueling tensions.
WASHINGTON (November 21, 2018) -- The United States and South Korea have scaled down a joint military exercise scheduled for the spring of 2019 to facilitate nuclear talks with North Korea, Jim Mattis, the US defense secretary, said on Wednesday.
"Foal Eagle is being reorganized a bit to keep it at a level that will not be harmful to diplomacy," Mattis said, adding that it would be "reduced in scope".
US and South Korean forces have been training together for years, and routinely rehearse everything from beach landings to an invasion from the North and even "decapitation" strikes targeting the North Korean regime. But personal insults and threats of war between Donald Trump and the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, were replaced last year by a rapid diplomatic rapprochement.
The thaw culminated in a historic summit in Singapore in June, where the leaders signed a vaguely worded document on denuclearization of the peninsula.The US and South Korea have since suspended most of their major joint exercises, including the Ulchi Freedom Guardian in August and the Vigilant Ace air force training initially slated for next month.
In September, the then nominee to head US and UN forces in South Korea said the pause in drills had been a "prudent risk" to help facilitate a detente on the peninsula.
But there "was certainly a degradation in the readiness of the force, for the combined forces", Gen Robert Abrams told the Senate armed services committee at his confirmation hearing.
Abrams went on to say that the continued suspension of the drills risked a further erosion in "readiness and capability and interoperability of the combined forces", though he noted officials were working to minimize issues by running smaller-scale staff exercises.
A Note from The Guardian
Three years ago, we knew we had to try to make The Guardian sustainable by deepening our relationship with our readers. The revenues from our newspaper had diminished and the technologies that connected us with a global audience had moved advertising money away from news organisations. We knew we needed to find a way to keep our journalism open and accessible to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford.
And so, we have an update for you on some good news. Thanks to all the readers who have supported our independent, investigative journalism through contributions, membership or subscriptions, we are starting to overcome the urgent financial situation we were faced with. Today we have been supported by more than a million readers around the world. Our future is starting to look brighter. But we have to maintain and build on that level of support for every year to come, which means we still need to ask for your help.
Ongoing financial support from our readers means we can continue pursuing difficult stories in the challenging times we are living through, when factual reporting has never been more critical. The Guardian is editorially independent -- our journalism is free from commercial bias and not influenced by billionaire owners, politicians or shareholders.
This is important because it enables us to challenge the powerful and hold them to account. With your support, we can continue bringing The Guardian's independent journalism to the world. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.
Posted in accordance with Title 17, Section 107, US Code, for noncommercial, educational purposes.