ACTION ALERT: Call-in Day on Impeachment
January 15, 2008
Congressman Robert Wexler is organizing his colleagues to ask House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers to begin Cheney impeachment hearings. We are also asking congress members not on the committee to send their own letters to Conyers. Please Email your Congress Member here
Wednesday, January 16, 2008,
National Call-In Day
Congressman Robert Wexler is organizing his colleagues to ask House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers to begin Cheney impeachment hearings. Wexler is asking his fellow Judiciary Committee Members to co-sign a letter to Conyers. We support Wexler in this, and we are also asking congress members not on the committee to send their own letters to Conyers. Please Email your Congress Member here.
Then please call the Capitol Hill Switchboard: (202) 224-3121. They can tell you who your Congress Member is if you don't know, and they can connect you to their office. Ask your representative to urge Chairman Conyers to begin impeachment hearings against Dick Cheney.
This is especially important if your representative is a member of the Judiciary Committee. Once you've sent your Email and made your phone call, please urge everyone you know to do the same. If you have further time to help advance impeachment, please call and Email the media.
54% of Americans want Cheney impeached, as do 64% of Vermonters.
Congressman Dennis Kucinich was the first member of Congress to lead the way in April 2007. H. Res. 333, Articles of Impeachment Against Dick Cheney (reintroduced on Nov. 6, 2007, as H Res 799), is sponsored by the following Members of Congress:
Jan Schakowsky, Maxine Waters, Hank Johnson, Keith Ellison, Lynn Woolsey, Barbara Lee, Albert Wynn, William Lacy Clay, Dennis Kucinich, Yvette Clarke, Jim McDermott, Jim Moran, Bob Filner, Sam Farr, Robert Brady, Tammy Baldwin, Donald Payne, Steve Cohen, Sheila Jackson Lee, Carolyn Kilpatrick, Ed Towns, Diane Watson, Danny Davis, Raul Grijalva, Gwen Moore. Please thank them and encourage them to whip their colleagues.
Robert Wexler, Tammy Baldwin, and Luis Gutierrez are urging the initiation of hearings and are joined in this by Anthony Weiner. Mike Michaud has written to Chairman Conyers calling for Cheney impeachment hearings. Tim Mahoney is open to the idea of impeachment hearings.
What can you do?
1. Email Congress, send a letter, send a postcard, lobby in person, honk to impeach, sit in.
2. Sign Congressman Wexler's petition. And spread the word with this flyer.
3. Help lobby members of the House Judiciary Committee and Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Contact contributors to House Judiciary Committee members.
4. Contact the media.
5. Contact the pollsters.
Start Planning for March 2008
Start planning your local and national actions to demand peace and impeachment in March 2008 here:
Begin Change NOW With
Cheney Impeachment Hearings
By an overwhelming 79%-12% margin, Americans want to change the disastrous direction George Bush and Dick Cheney have taken us. But there's no need to wait until January 2009 - we can begin change now with impeachment.
Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) is organizing his colleagues to ask House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers to begin Cheney impeachment hearings, and he needs our help.
We're asking other Judiciary Committee Members to co-sign Wexler's letter to Conyers, and we're asking the rest of Congress to send their own letters to Conyers. Please email your Congressmember here:
On Wednesday, please call your Congressmember through the Capitol Hill Switchboard (202) 224-3121, toll-free at 1-800-828-0498, or directly (http://www.democrats.com/congress). Tell your Congressmember to urge Chairman Conyers to begin impeachment hearings for Dick Cheney. Then tell your friends and call and email the media.
Tell the Candidates: Change Begins NOW
If Martin Luther King Jr. were alive today, he wouldn't be sniping over the Voting Rights Act of 1964 or Iraq War speeches in 2002.
He'd be leading the largest protests our nation has ever seen to end to the occupation of Iraq, restore the Constitution, massively shift funds from the military to humanity, and impeach George Bush and Dick Cheney for their war crimes and lies.
If the Democratic candidates for President want to compete on who is a better agent of change, it's time for them - all of them - to stop talking and start acting. Email Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Dennis Kucinich, and Barack Obama to
1. Oppose any more Iraq War funds
2. Support Sen. Chris Dodd's filibuster of telco immunity for warrantless wiretapping
3. Support Rep. Robert Wexler's call for Cheney impeachment hearings
4. Support Rep. John Conyers' single-payer non-profit health care plan
Grassroots Impeachment Activists
Are Making a Difference
Impeachment activism is exploding from coast to coast.
* John Nirenberg, a retired college professor, has completed a 40-day march from Boston to Washington D.C., where he will ask Speaker Nancy Pelosi to begin impeachment hearings. He's garnered a great deal of media attention along the way and has planned a press conference for noon on January 16th on the Cannon House Office Building Terrace. Watch the end of the march: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30080
* Citizens with "Impeach" on their shirts were ordered not to view the U.S. Constitution at the National Archives: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30068
* Subcommittee on the Constitution Chairman Jerrold Nadler's constituents protested repeatedly at his office and went to jail asking for impeachment hearings: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29969 http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29809
* Viggo Mortensen, John Kaminski, Dennis Kucinich, John Nichols, and David Swanson spoke at New Hampshire forum for impeachment. Video: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29968
* A New Hampshire Democratic Party event exploded when Kucinich said the word "Impeach" - http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30065
* Maine impeachment activism led conservative Democratic congress member Mike Michaud to ask Conyers to begin Cheney impeachment hearings: http://afterdowningstreet.org/me
* A big name impeachment debate shakes up North Carolina: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30058
* Veterans for Peace brought impeachment to Rep. Pete Visclosky's (D-IN) Town Hall Meetings: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30051
* Lois Capp's constituents baked her an impeachment pie: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/30079
* Yet another ACLU chapter backs impeachment: http://afterdowningstreet.org/aclu
* Cindy Sheehan to deliver huge stack of pro-impeachment letters to Speaker Nancy Pelosi: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29986
* First newspaper editorialized for Cheney impeachment: http://afterdowningstreet.org/node/29955
* The Washington and New Hampshire state legislatures are taking up impeachment resolutions this month. The first hearing in Olympia is scheduled for January 17th. Here are details on Washington and New Hampshire, plus the list of resolutions already passed around the country:
• http://afterdowningstreet.org/wa and
• http://afterdowningstreet.org/nh and