ACTION ALERT: Protest War: Tax Day Actions, Tuesday, April 15, 2008
April 1, 2008
National Committee on War Tax Resistance
Over $500 billion has been spent by the Pentagon for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the bill is still skyrocketing with an ongoing cost of over $700 million a day. Five years of a war built on lies is 5 years too many. More than 6 years of war on terror has led to more acts of terror worldwide. Get out on tax day and demand that our hard-earned money be used to help people, not kill them!
Stay the Course – Protest War
Just as military recruiters supply the bodies for the war, the IRS delivers the funding. Part of the responsibility rests with taxpayers who are against the war and continue to pay for it. Over $500 billion has been spent by the Pentagon for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the bill is still skyrocketing with an ongoing cost of over $700 million a day . . . most of it from US taxpayers today and far into the future as the debt rises.
This money has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghanis and over 4,000 American troops. Tens of thousands have been permanently injured. The American people need funding for healthcare, housing, education, and jobs that pay a living wage.
Five years of a war built on lies is 5 years too many. More than 6 years of war on terror has led to more acts of terror worldwide. Get out on tax day and demand that our hard-earned money be used to help people, not kill them!
National Tax Day Events (Partial List)
• Tucson — Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, Local Chapter. Email. Leafleting at the Sun Station Post Office, during the day, and, at the main Post Office, Cherry Bell Station, 5 pm until people or leaflets run out.
• Berkeley – Northern California War Tax Resistance. (510) 843-9877, Email or see http://www.nowartax.org. People’s Life Fund Granting Ceremony. Come join Bay Area War Tax Resisters as they donate over $10,000 in resisted taxes to groups that are working for peace, justice and human needs here in our communities. Hear testimony from first time war tax resisters, as well as life-long refusers! Potluck-bring something to share. Free and wheelchair accessible. Everyone Welcome. 6-7 pm, 2220 Sacramento St., Berkeley (Near No. Bkly. BART)
• Fort Collins – Center for Justice, Peace & Environment. (970) 419-8944, Email, or cjpe.org. Distribute literature and hand out pieces of pie to “take back the pie chart.” Main post office, Federal Building. Noon-5 pm.
District of Columbia
• Washington – DC Area War Tax Resistance. Email. Vigil and redistribution of resisted tax money at IRS headquarters, 1111 Constitution NW. Noon.
• Glynn County – GlynnPeace/Citizens To End The War In Iraq . (912) 262-1274 or Email. Leafleting the WRL pie chart at both the Brunswick and St. Simons Island Post Offices. 8:30 am-5 pm (or until all 1,000 flyers are distributed).
• Carbondale – Neighbors The Peace Coalition of Southern Illinois/Fellowship of Reconciliation. (618) 549-7193 or Email. Annual Tax Day demonstration (20 years and counting), handing out flyers telling people how their income tax dollars are being spent and suggesting that more needs to be spent meeting human needs. Main Post Office, 11 am - 1 pm and 4 - 6 pm.
• Evanston – Neighbors for Peace. Email. Distributing the WRL tax leaflets. We plan to have over 60 volunteers for this action; two years ago we got front-page coverage in the Chicago Tribune. Main Evanston Post office on Davis Street. 9 am – 6 pm.
• South Bend – Michiana War Tax Refusers. (574) 289-2126, Email, or http://community.michiana.org/justice/. Vigil and leafleting at the Main Post Office. 6 pm-10 pm.
• Dubuque – Citizens’ Tax Moratorium. (563) 583-2586. Vigil and distribute educational materials including war tax boycott information. Downtown post office, 6th and Locust. 2-4 pm and 5-7 pm. (Also year-round from 3-5 pm.)
• Louisville — Fellowship of Reconciliation (local chapter). (502) 458-8056 or Email. Leafleting and penny poll at corner of Fifth & Market. Noon.
• New Orleans – Pax Christi New Orleans. (504) 522-3751. Meet at the main post office for leafleting and education. 4 pm-10 pm.
• Maine War Tax Resistance Resource Center, (207) 525-7776 or Email. Leafleting between now and April 15 with flyers bearing the theme of “Schools or Tanks? Health Care or Bombs? Which Will You Pay for? You Have a Choice!”
• Greenfield – Pioneer Valley War Tax Resisters (PVWTR). (413) 397-8976. Tabling, leafleting, and marching around with signs in downtown near the Food Co-op. 10 am-1 pm.
• Royal Oak – Peace Action of Michigan. (248) 545-2160 or Email. Leafleting and engaging in conversation at the Royal Oak Post Office during most of the daylight hours.
• St. Louis – Covenant Community for War Tax Resistance and Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. (314) 725-5303 or Email. Leaflet with pie chart. Main Post Office, Market and 18th. 11:30 am-1 pm.
• New York City – NYC War Resisters League (718) 768-7306 or Email, and NYC People’s Life Fund (nycplf.org). Meet and leaflet at Manhattan IRS office, 110 W. 44th Street, at 4 pm. March with the Rude Mechanical Orchestra to main post office at 8th Ave. and 34th St. at 5 pm for vigil, leafleting, redirection ceremony.
• Greensboro – Local war tax resisters. (336) 340-2683. Leafleting/penny poll at the Yanceyville St. post office. 2-5 pm.
• Athens – People for Peace and Justice. (740) 448-3071 or Email. Leafleting and penny poll at Athens Post Office. Noon-7 pm.
• Eugene – Lane County Taxes for Peace Not War. (541) 344-1053 or Email. Tabling, penny poll, and war tax redirection ceremony. Main Post Office. 11 am-1 pm.
• Portland – Oregon Community for War Tax Resistance/WRL. (503) 238-0605 or Email. April 12: forum at the public library. April 15: Holding “Burma Shave” signs on the local bridges during morning rush hours.
• Philadelphia - Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (Philadelphia Branch). (215) 848-3544 or (215) 844-5969 or Email. Distribute leaflets and display eye-catching posters, focusing on the true cost of the Iraq war and the specifics of how our tax dollars should be spent for critical human needs both here and in Iraq . Saturday, April 12: Chestnut Hill Post Office (8227 Germantown Ave. at Gravers La.) 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Tuesday, April 15: Mt. Airy Post Office (6711 Germantown Ave. at Westview St.) 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
• Philadelphia - Join the Circus for Peace, Universal Health Care, Justice, and Economic Human Rights! April 16, 4 pm. While Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama debate at the National Constitution Center and the Ringling Bros./Barnum & Bailey Circus opens at the Spectrum, peace and justice activists will raise their voices against the war and poverty. COME Clowns, Minstrels, Activists, Jugglers, Rappers, Drummers, Puppeteers, and Demonstrators. 4 pm, Phila. Federal Building, 601 Market St. followed at 5 pm by the CIRCUS for JUSTICE & PEACE PARADE through Philadelphia's historic district to the National Constitution Center, site of the Obama-Clinton debate. Organized by the Brandywine Peace Community and the Kensington Welfare Rights Union [KWRU]. For more information and to sign on as an endorser: Brandywine Peace Community, (610) 544-1818.
• Austin – Austin Conscientious Objectors to Military Taxation. (512) 467-2946 or Email. Leafleting at the Central Post Office. Evening rush hour.
• Brattleboro — Windham County War Tax Resisters of Conscience, Email. Tax Day demonstration, penny poll, and redirection of resisted taxes to local groups. Main Street Post Office. 11 a.m. and noon.
• Seattle – Nonviolent Action Community of Cascadia (NACC). (206) 547-0952 or see http://seanacc.org. Leafleting at the Capitol Hill post office, Broadway and Denny. 5-6 pm. Also at downtown post office, 3rd and Union. Noon-1 pm and 5-6 pm. Call if you want flyers to use in your own neighborhood.
• Seattle – Fellowship of Reconciliation, Seattle Chapter, (206) 522-6201 or see http://www.scn.org/wwfor/. Informational handouts about taxes/spending. Greenwood West Seattle and other post offices, Seattle at Ballard. 11 am to 1 pm.
• Tacoma — Members of local Pax Christi group and others. (253) 961-5822 or Email. Leafleting and signage at the Main Post Office on South Pine St., 7-9 pm or so.
• Milwaukee – Milwaukee War Tax Resistance and Casa Maria Catholic Worker. (414) 344-5745 or Email. Demonstration and leafleting in front of the downtown post office, 345 West St. Paul Ave. 7 pm-8 pm.
• War Resisters League - "Where Your Income Tax Money Really Goes" flyer
• National Priorities Project - how much does your community spend for war?
• National War Tax Resistance - brochures and information about refusing to pay for war
• Friends Committee on National Legislation - federal budget information and flyers