ACTION ALERT: June 25 Torture Accountability Action Day
June 23, 2009
On June 25, demonstrations, vigils and actions will be held across the USA — in Salt Lake City, Seattle, Portland, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Anchorage, Pasadena, Bryn Mawr (Philly Area), Tampa, Thousand Oaks , Boston, and San Francisco — to demand that the individuals who debased our country by authorizing torture of foreign detainees and US citizens be held accountable for their actions.
Torture Accountability Action Day
June 25th Across the USA ~ Salt Lake City, Seattle, Portland, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Anchorage, Pasadena, Bryn Mawr (Philly Area), Tampa, Thousand Oaks , Boston, and San Francisco
• For more details, < a href="http://tortureaccountability.webs.com/eventsacrossus.htm">click here.
Sponsored by :
Action Center for Justice, After Downing Street, Amnesty International, Bryn Mawr Peace Coalition, BuzzFlash, Coalition for Peace Action ,Code Pink, Consumers for Peace ,Democrats.com, Eldoradans Against Torture, Global Exchange, High Road for Human Rights, Historians Against the War, Indict Bush Now , Individuals for Justice, Marcus Raskin, National Accountability Network, National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance,NJ Peace Action, NJ People's Organization for Progress, Northern Virginians for Peace and Justice , Polygraph Radio, Peace Action, Peace and Justice Forums, Portland Peaceful Response Coalition, Progressive Democrats of America, Project Vote Count ,School of the Americas Watch ,Senior Action Network ,The Torture Abolition Survivors Support Coalition, US Labor Against War, Veterans for Peace ,Voters for Peace, War Criminals Watch, Washington Peace Center ,We Are Change LA ,Witness Against Torture, World Can't Wait
Take Actions to Stop Torture
Washington, DC Torture Accountability Rally 06-25-09
Thursday June 25, 2009 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
John Marshall Park, 501 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, D.C.
Join us for a day of demonstration in Washington, D.C. and across the country, to prosecute those responsible for torture (download the flyer).
In Washington D.C. we have speakers and a rally from 11 to 12 in John Marshall Park, 501 Pennsylvania Ave NW, then a march to the Department of Justice. The closest metro stations to John Marshall Park are Judiciary Square (Red Line) and Archives-Navy Memorial-Penn Quarter (Green Line, Yellow Line).
List of speakers:
* Demissie Abebe, is Executive Director of the Torture Abolition and Survivors Support Coalition
* Marjorie Cohn is president of the National Lawyers Guild and a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law
* Njambi Good is Director of Counter Terror with Justice Campaign, Amnesty International USA
* Enver Masud is founder and CEO of The Wisdom Fund (est. 1995), and recipient of the 2002 Gold Award from the Human Rights Foundation for his book The War on Islam.
* Max Obuszewski of National Campaign for Nonviolent Resistance, is a peace activist from Baltimore, and was one of the people spied on and entered into a federally-supplied database as a "terrorist"
* Marcus Raskin is cofounder of the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, D.C.
Kevin Zeese, director of VotersForPeace.US, is a board member of VelvetRevolution.US, and filed 12 complaints seeking Disbarment of Cheney/Bush Torture Lawyers
Tabling will start at 9 and go on all day (no selling of DVDs, T-shirts, etc - only buttons, bumper stickers, and reading material).
The artist Jordan Page will perform.
Some participants may engage in nonviolent civil disobedience.
Events Across US
On June 25th, 2009, Torture Accountability Action Day, there will be demonstrations across the U.S. in support of holding those who authorized torture accountable for their crimes. Events will occur in the cities below; watch this page or contact us for more details.
San Francisco, CA
Salt Lake City, UT
Tampa Bay, FL
Bryn Mawr, PA
Las Vegas, NV
Are you organizing an event in your area and want to be listed here? Contact us.