ACTION ALERT: Disarmament Summer Campaign
April 5, 2010
Think Outside The Bomb.org
April 5th marks the one year anniversary of President Obama's famous speech in Prague that ultimately won him a Nobel Peace Prize for his vision. We share a vision of a nuclear weapons free world and are working hard to achieve it. Call or email the White House today and let President Obama know that building new nuclear weapons factories is incompatible with a nuclear weapons free world.
Kick Off the Disarmament Summer Campaign
by Toasting to a Nuclear Free World and
Calling the President on Monday April 5th.
(April 5, 2010) -- April 5th marks the one year anniversary of President Obama's famous speech in Prague that ultimately won him a Nobel Peace Prize for his vision. We share a vision of a nuclear weapons free world and are working hard to achieve it.
President Obama said:
Some argue that the spread of these weapons cannot be stopped, cannot be checked -- that we are destined to live in a world where more nations and more people possess the ultimate tools of destruction. Such fatalism is a deadly adversary, for if we believe that the spread of nuclear weapons is inevitable, then in some way we are admitting to ourselves that the use of nuclear weapons is inevitable.
Just as we stood for freedom in the 20th century, we must stand together for the right of people everywhere to live free from fear in the 21st century. And as nuclear power -- as a nuclear power, as the only nuclear power to have used a nuclear weapon, the United States has a moral responsibility to act. We cannot succeed in this endeavor alone, but we can lead it, we can start it.
So today, I state clearly and with conviction America's commitment to seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons.
Since then, President Obama has taken some important steps. While signing a new START Treaty with Russia to reduce the numbers of nuclear weapons is a step in the right direction, at the same time, President Obama has proposed:
* Increasing the nuclear weapons budget in FY 2011 (by $600 million) and calling for vast increases in the budget over the next five years (almost doubling the budget, or adding $5 billion to it)
* Building 3 NEW nuclear weapons factories in Los Alamos, NM, Oakridge TN and Kansas City, MO
* Quadrupling our ability to make new nuclear weapons from 20 to 80 a year
We are asking you to take a simple action on Monday:
Call or email the White House and let President Obama know that:
1. Building new nuclear weapons factories is incompatible with a nuclear weapons free world. For START reductions to have any real meaning, the plants for building the primary, secondary, and non-nuclear parts of nuclear weapons proposed for construction at Los Alamos, Y-12, and the Honeywell Plant, respectively, must be cancelled.
2. The Senate Ratification of the START treaty should not be linked to missile defenses, weaponization of space, conventional weapons, or modernization of the weapons complex.
3. Instead, President Obama should re-allocate the nuclear weapons budget to nuclear weapons dismantlement, environmental clean-up and healthcare compensation to workers and their families. We ask that the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) to be fully funded in all states and to all workers since 1971.
4. Create good jobs in green renewable and sustainable projects and energy!
President Obama referring to the Velvet Revolution said:
It showed us that peaceful protest could shake the foundations of an empire, and expose the emptiness of an ideology. It showed us that small countries can play a pivotal role in world events, and that young people can lead the way in overcoming old conflicts. And it proved that moral leadership is more powerful than any weapon.
It is time for our generation to stand up.
Make a call on Monday, or better yet invite your friends over that evening for a real toast with sparkling juice, wine or champagne and then call or write the President! If you invite your friends to call Obama and toast a nuclear weapons-free world, send us (DisarmamentSummer@ gmail.com) a picture of your toast so we can post it on our website!
• To contact President Obama:
Phone Comments: 202-456-1111
Send an email message at:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
Please include your e-mail address
Visitors Office: 202-456-2121
For more information visit ThinkOutsideTheBomb .org